Friday, February 17, 2012


Women like myself have always thought we need a husband in order to have the things in life we think are important.

Do I want to man-bash here?? NO WAY!! Quite the opposite!! But please ladies, stop looking for a man to solve your problems and make you happy!!

I wish I had some magical phrase that could bypass and get through the mental blocks of self-defense we women often use when our friends confront us with this issue. So many times I have wanted to somehow rescue a friend I see making the same mistakes I have made. That is after slapping her, because that is initially what I really want to do, and I wish someone would have done it to me too....well ok, maybe not. It is amazing what women put up with in relationships sometimes because they think he is the best they will ever get and are hanging on to the hope this guy will change. Or they think they need him in order to accomplish or attain something. The excuses we come up with to stay in the situation are ridiculous…and sometimes even comical as I look back and remember my own excuses. Men are great, and when God puts a man and a woman together in Holy Matrimony it is a wonderful thing. But I’m here to tell you ladies, if you are limiting what God can do in your life because you think you need a man to help, you are missing out!! 

Let me TOOT God’s horn a little, or a LOT. Now, I do not live a life of luxury by any means, nor am I completely debt-free – at least not yet, but let me tell you how far the Lord, God Almighty has brought me over the past 20 years. I was a defiant teenager who had little or no self-esteem and lived a life of promiscuity and drugs. I dropped out of high school, just barely a freshman, and got involved with a boyfriend who was an abusive alcoholic and left me alone to raise three children while he was in prison. But GOD raised me up into a life of stability for my children, a good, steady job working around Christian people who loved and cared for me and helped me mature. GOD, not only gave me a place to live, but a house…a home, dependable cars to drive, and even put my daughter through private high school. GOD has even allowed me the opportunity to now pursue my own educational goals. Not one of those things came through a man’s help. They were all provided to my children and I directly from the Lord, Jesus Christ. 

You see, you have to get to a place where you trust the Lord enough to actually depend on Him for everything – I don’t mean just telling people you have faith in Christ – I mean really living out your dependence upon Him. It starts when you let go of that relationship you know you don’t belong in, or letting go of the thought that you are only half of a person without a man. I remember saying once that my "picker" was broken because I obviously was no good at "picking" a man. I realized though that it was not that I was not good, it was just that I chose to ignore the "red flags." You know what I am talking about. You may try to fool yourself but deep inside you know when someone is not good for you but you go along with it because to not go along with it means to be alone again. Give God some credit! He created you for a purpose, so why do you think He has abandoned you and given you no hope but to stay with this guy? He hasn’t gone anywhere, you have! Turn around and see! He hasn’t changed. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. We are the ones who change and run away, and just because some of us changed for the worst or ran too far somewhere along the way doesn’t mean He can’t change it all back around again. Better yet, change us into something better than we ever were before and then pours into the lives of others. God is still in the business of making beauty from ashes. I am living proof of that.

I know these verses may sound a little simple, and they are really. But at the same time they are so profound because they are so simple and true. That doesn't sound like it makes sense probably when you read it, but it made sense in my head so now you are reading it. Anyways, back to the scripture. Rest in these two scriptures for a little while. Let them resonate in your mind and in your heart as you think some things over…….

“Nothing is impossible with God.”Luke 1:37 

 “. . . [He] is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us . . .” Ephesians 3:20

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! Keep writing when you get that "thought" you need to share! -Jim

    ReplyDelete